The son of a writer and art critic father and poet mother, Edoardo Dalbono attended the Reale Istituto di Belle Arti in Naples in 1853, but left it shortly afterwards to join Nicola Palizzi’s studio. In 1859 he participated in Mostra di Belle Arti at the Real Museo Borbonico winning the silver medal; he then became interested in the Scuola di Resina, and his artistic research centred on life studies of nature. In 1867 he began showing his works regularly at the Società Promotrice di Belle Arti in Naples and other exhibitions; he won the silver medal at the Esposizione Nazionale di Belle Arti di Parma in 1870 with a history painting and the bronze medal at the international exhibition in Vienna in 1873. From 1878 to 1888 he lived in Paris and, with the help of his friend Giuseppe De Nittis, entered into a contract with the art dealer Goupil. During this decade he returned to Italy several times, staying in Milan and Verona, and also continued the activity he had begun years earlier as an illustrator. He was one of the founders of the Società Napoletana degli Artisti, and later of the Circolo Artistico, and in 1897 was appointed professor of painting at the Naples Academy. He went on to show his works in the international exhibitions in Venice in 1895, Saint Louis in 1904 and Rome in 1911.