The son of Marquis Ermanno Tibertelli, Filippo de Pisis studied drawing, poetry, entomology and art history with private tutors before enrolling at the University of Bologna in 1916. This period also saw an exchange of letters with Ardengo Soffici and Tristan Tzara. He met the De Chirico brothers and Carlo Carrà in Ferrara, and it was their influence that led to a change in the style of his still lifes. It was in connection with his first solo show, organised in Rome by the Casa d’Arte Bragaglia in 1920, that he moved to the capital. Having taken part in the 3rd Rome Biennale in 1925, he left for Paris. Margherita Sarfatti invited him to take part in the first exhibition of the Novecento Italiano movement in Milan in 1926 and his participation in the Venice Biennale began in the same year with the 15th Esposizione Internazionale d’Arte di Venezia and continued almost uninterruptedly until his death. He was a highly successful painter in the 1930s and took part in various editions of the Rome Quadrenniale (with a room devoted exclusively to his work at the second in 1935). He moved to Milan in 1939 and Venice in 1944. Seriously ill, he lived at Brughiero from 1949.