In 1881 he enrolled at the Albertina Academy of Fine Arts in Turin, where he took Enrico Gamba’s drawing course and studied sculpture under Odoardo Tabacchi. He made his debut at the 1886 Turin Promotrice exhibition, displaying an outstanding group of Verist works rooted in Romanticism. In the first half of the 1890s he took part in major national and international exhibitions where his works were critically acclaimed and much in demand, as confirmed by his winning a Gold Medal at the 1893 Paris Salon for a piece later purchased by the art dealers Goupil. He showed his work in the Esposizione Internazionale d’Arte in Venice in 1895, and again in 1901, this time with his own room. At the beginning of the 20th century he began to take part in more and more exhibitions, especially in Berlin, London and Saint Petersburg, which brought him prestigious portrait commissions from the high nobility and ruling dynasties of Europe. A leading exponent of official art, he worked at all the most important sites of the period, executing both public and funerary monuments in Europe, and Turkey in particular, and South America, as well as producing a vast output of religious pieces, which peaked after World War II. In his maturity he developed an individual artistic language that combined the Verist element in his early works with Symbolist, Neo-Renaissance and Art Nouveau influences. During the hiatus imposed by World War I he devoted himself mainly to composing music influenced by Late Romantic operatic works. He continued to compose until he died, but always remained an isolated figure in the contemporary music world. In 1910 he became a professor at the Venice Academy of Fine Arts and, later, at the Academy in Rome, where he moved for good in 1922. He made his home and set up his studio in the “Fortezzuola” (now the Museo Canonica) in the Villa Borghese Gardens, where he gathered a wide selection of his own works and plaster casts, along with a collection of paintings, tapestries and antique furnishings.