Probably trained under the guidance of the painter Corneo, Marco Gozzi worked initially in a broad range of fields including portraiture, religious subjects and decorative frescoes executed in accordance with the Veneto tradition, which was still predominant in the area of Bergamo. There is no record of his activity as a landscape painter until 1807, when he signed a contract with Count De Breme, then Minister of the Interior of the Kingdom of Italy, for the execution of four views of Lombardy a year in return for a government pension. This prestigious commission marked the transition from landscape painting still tied to Arcadian models to views of a topographical character. The ministerial contract was renewed in 1812 and his regular participation in the annual Brera exhibitions began the following year. While he never held the chair in landscape at the Academy, he was elected an honorary member in 1829 and qualified as a landscape painter in 1832.