Having received his early training in Palermo with his father Luigi, a history painter, and Salvatore Lo Forte, Francesco Lojacono moved to Naples in 1856 and attended the school of Filippo Palizzi. Having returned to Sicily, he served in Garibaldi’s expedition of one thousand volunteers in 1860 and participated in the march towards Rome in 1862, when he was taken prisoner on the Aspromonte. Having regained his freedom, he devoted his energies to painting intensely lyrical landscapes drawing inspiration in particular from the area around Agrigento and later the coast near Palermo. He obtained the post of professor of landscape at the Naples Institute of Fine Arts in 1872 and taught the courses of landscape and seascape painting at the Palermo Academy of Fine Arts from 1896 to 1914. He took part in the international exhibitions held in Vienna (1872) and Paris (1878) and presented work with unquestionable success at the major national events, including the Palermo exhibition of 1891–92.