Inspired by the example of his elder brother Angiolo and his cousin Adolfo, Ludovico Tommasi devoted himself to painting, developing his art in close contact with Silvestro Lega, a frequent visitor to the Tommasi family villa at Bellariva. He made his debut at the Florence Promotrice in 1884 with a life study. After his military service in Milan between 1888 and 1891, Tommasi and his brother Angiolo frequented the cultural circle that gravitated around Giacomo Puccini at Torre del Lago, and it was here that he came into contact with several exponents of the Tuscan artistic avant-garde, including Galileo Chini and Oscar Ghiglia. Towards the end of the 19th century he became interested in the Divisionist research carried out in that period by his friend Plinio Nomellini. He regularly participated in the principal artistic events in Italy and abroad. In 1913 he was among the participants in the Rome breakaway faction of the Giovane Etruria group that returned to the Tuscan naturalistic tradition, leading to the revival of more classic forms in the years following the First World War. In his maturity he devoted himself to engraving, and in 1912 he opened a school of etching in Florence.