From 1926 he took evening classes in arts and crafts at the Moretto Professional Institute in Brescia, while working as an assistant first in the studios of Giuseppe and Vittorio Trainini, and later in that of Eliodoro Coccoli, where he learnt the fresco technique. After obtaining his diploma in 1928, he attended the Carrara Academy for just one year, and in 1930 he won two three-year Camillo Brozzoni scholarships which enabled him to continue his training first in Rome, where he studied at the Academy of Fine Arts for several months and also did his military service, and afterwards in Paris. In 1933 he returned to Italy and settled in Milan, where he came into contact with the coterie of artists who met at the Trattoria Bagutta. Like some of these painters he was fond of depicting the Venetian lagoon in his landscapes, especially the town of Burano, where he stayed for long periods until the year he died. Skilled in the art of fresco painting, for which he had won the Mylius Prize at the Brera Academy in 1936 (followed by the Canonica Prize for portraiture in 1941), in the 1950s he obtained major commissions for the decoration of civic and religious buildings. Thanks to his friendship with Cardinal Giovanni Battista Montini, who became Pope Paul VI in 1963, the artist executed two frescoes for the Chapel of the Swiss Guards and a window for the pontiff’s private chapel; he also collaborated on the arrangement of the Vatican’s Collection of Modern Religious Art. His works with religious subjects were displayed at the National Sacred Art Exhibition organised at the Angelicum in Milan, from 1944 to 1963; he also participated in the Venice Biennale in 1940, 1948 and 1950. Also important in his career was the long period he spent teaching at the Brera High School specialising in art subjects, where he was head of the Drawing Department from 1941 to 1973.