Palazzo Melzi d'Eril
A stately mansion in the Cavalchina district
The mansion was first built during the 18th century in the neoclassical style. While the site of the building was in the district known as Cavalchina because of its proximity to the Cavalchino family mansion at Porta Nuova, its history is connected with the Melzi d’Eril, one of the Lombard capital’s oldest aristocratic families. Bought during the Napoleonic period by Francesco Melzi d’Eril, duke of Lodi, who died there on 15 January 1816, it was later inherited by his great-grandson Lodovico, who had it completely rebuilt. It was Giacomo Moraglia who renovated the historical edifice building around 1840.
It was Giacomo Moraglia who renovated the historical edifice building around 1840. Moraglia refurbished the whole interior so as to eliminate every trace of the neoclassical style, create a main hall of greater splendour, and improve the functionality of the private apartments. The results of Moraglia’s decidedly “modern” project can also be seen in the external area previously described. The building today houses the Cariplo Foundation.